Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Inspiration


I've always found this poem by Shel Silverstein to be inspiring...

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child.  Listen to the don'ts.  Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts.  Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me...  Anything can happen, child. Anything can be."

While researching my book, "Journey Around Cape Cod and the Islands from A to Z", I traveled to the the Camp Grounds in Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard and gleefully learned that one of the adorable gingerbread cottages belonged to Shel Silverstein!  Respectful of his privacy, I did not put his cottage in the book, but I WAS curious about what wonderful words were on the paper I saw by his pen on his porch table!  My husband restrained me from taking a peek!

I did the painting above more than 10 years ago, and I think I've improved since then.  I'd love to go back and do some more paintings of these charming cottages!

No comments: