Monday, June 15, 2009

Setting the Stage


Although I've titled this post, "Setting the Stage", it might be more appropriately called, "Beating a Dead Horse" (or should I say, "Duck").  In beginning to work on my new book, "Hello, Boston!", I knew that I wanted a little energetic, cheerful, and curious duck as one of the main characters and I was trying to convince myself that this one was working.  I figured that if I brightened him up (see comparison a couple of posts down) it would do the trick. I then added some scenery to help me get an idea what the whole thing would look like.  The unfortunate part was that I wasn't making much progress, because I was trying to ignore the fact that the duck wasn't working to begin with.  I needed to go back to the drawing board and get to know my character first.  Whether you are writing or illustrating, it's crucial to get to know your characters.  This duck and I were just beginning to get acquainted...  

1 comment:

Heather said...

This is also true of dating. How closely life imitates art...or is it the other way around?