Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sloppy Copy


Teachers use the same methods to teach writing as writers use to write.  We have the kids write a story, they want to be done with it after the first try, we say, "Now it's time to edit our work", they moan and groan, revise their work, and, depending on their age, reviseit  again, and again.  I didn't realize the torture I was inflicting on the poor children in my class until I became a writer and learned the hard way what a painful process this can be.  First draft, sloppy copy, whatever we call it, we all want it to be perfect the first time we write it. Unfortunately, that isn't usually the case.  Keep at it, it gets better as you work on it. Practice makes perfect!  The above is one of my first drafts (or sloppy copies) of my new book, "Hello, Boston!" due out any day!

No comments: