Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Waddling on...



So it was back to the drawing board (see yesterday's post), but all was not lost.  I had learned a few things:  The duck I was aiming for would be curious, energetic, and cheerful.  The one I had done was... sweet and likable.  I started sketching.  I opened his bill and kept trying to make him brighter.  Sometimes it's difficult to translate your idea all the way from your brain, down your arm, to your hand, and then finally on to the paper.  The open mouth helped, and I went brighter by switching to a heavy weight bristol vellum, and adding colored pencil after I used the watercolors.  The above (including lots of sketching that isn't shown) took MANY more hours than anyone would think humanly possible.  HOW could this be taking so long?!?!?!?  I was supposed to have several COMPLETED illustrations by now and all I had to show was this lame duck!  ERGH!  

My husband came home and I showed him the more completed sketch above.  "He looks angry", he said.  "But that alone took three hours!", I cried.  "He still looks angry", my husband replied.

...  Don't you hate it when they're right?

No comments: